In 1870, John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mirfield as a small town stands on the river Calder, the Liverpool and Leeds canal, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire and the Northwestern railways.
It consists largely of modern houses; carries on extensive manufacture of woollen cloths, cottons, carpets, and blankets; does considerable business also in machine-making, boat-building, and malting. There were 16 maltsters in Mirfield, but in 1970 only Crowthers, on Station Road, next to the canal, remained. In 1972 it was taken over by Bass.
The building that now houses the Library was Eastthorpe Lodge and was built in 1819 by local maltster, John Crowther. It was purchased by the local authority in 1947 and was altered to serve as the library which opened on 3 November 1948.